Sunday 6 June 2010

Sunday's Second Soaking

This morning I woke up quite late and realised that once again I was feeling a bit cold-y, so put lots of layers on and went downstairs for a cuppa. I realised that I was the first person up, so thought I would go and get the Sunday newspapers from the shop across the road.

The shop was a typical corner shop, with the usual randomness that you would expect from such an establishment – outside the front door was an upturned box with a poorly scribbled sign saying ‘Sale - Runners $12’ and five very sad looking trainers sat on top. I think I can safely say that I have never before seen trainers for sale in a corner shop. Having met Lincoln the shop owner, apparently endearingly known to locals as ‘the Sneaky Korean’ due to his extortionately inflated prices, I wandered around the shop, laughing to myself at how sparsely filled the shelves were, with only one of each item on display – what one would do if one wished to purchase two packets of Tim Tams, I really don’t know. I picked up the Sunday Herald, Sunday Age and a pint of iced coffee then headed back to the house (paying for the items first, of course!).

I settled down at the table with the newspapers and a cup of tea, to have read. Sarah came down and joined me. We chatted about some of the items in the news, particularly with reference to Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott’s policies on various issues, and flicked through the weekend supplements, looking at the fashion things and reading the Masterchef special. When Tom came along, we did the Sunday quizzes and puzzles together, not doing too bad on them today.

I spent the rest of the day in the lounge, sitting on the sofa with the tv, lots of cups of tea and my laptop. We watched lots of terrible Sunday tv shows, plus a few films including Alice in Wonderland. Later in the afternoon I took myself off on my little jaunt to Maccas where I clicked about online for a bit and was bemused at seeing some kids with a baby chick – I have no idea what they were doing with it, other than running around scaring one another with it, but eventually they put it back in a box and left.

On my way home, I called the house to see if we needed anything and agreed to pick up some milk, wine and beer (staple items!) at Woolies. About thirty seconds after I left the supie, the heavens opened and it rained torrentially, drenching me even more than it had yesterday after the footie! I figured there was nothing I could do, so just trudged through the wet.

When I got back to the house, I realised I had a load of missed calls – the guys had realised how much it was raining and were just jumping into the car to go out on a rescue mission! How sweet! Becs dashed and got me a towel and I had a go at towelling myself off a bit, trying not to drip too much onto the floor! I then went and got changed into my other jeans which had thankfully dried off since I had hung them up yesterday! Once warm and dry, I found everyone in the lounge and sat chatting to them for a bit, with a well earned beer, whilst Becs cooked dinner.

We enjoyed a delicious homemade Minestrone soup with warm bread, whilst avidly watching and overly criticising the attempts of the Masterchef contestants! Then it was Doctor Who (the first of what turned out to be a two-parter about homoreptiles under the earth) and although we enjoyed it, Tom and I scoffed at it a bit – really, could it be any more predictable?!? The girls don’t really get Doctor Who, so they remained neutral about it, whereas we were not so impressed. Oh well!

We then spent the rest of the evening watching some Family Guy and finally an Aussie film called ‘Chopper’, about an infamous gangster/murderer called Mark ‘Chopper’ Read, who is famous for being a particularly hard man from Melbourne who killed lots of people, but now lives in Tasmania and writes kids’ books. It was quite a good film, a classic I am told, if a bit violent and graphic.

No comments:

Post a Comment