Tuesday 15 June 2010

Melancholy in Melbourne



Today I woke up with a slightly heavy heart – knowing it was my last full day in Melbourne. I decided that it would be a good idea to start packing, so as to be able to work out if there was anything I could ditch and anything I could post home. To cheer myself up as I packed, I watched American Dad which made me laugh.

When I was 80% done, I decided that I had had enough, so went in the kitchen and had a chat and cup of tea with Sarah. I decided to head into the city again, to go for one last wander and take in all its glory. Also, I had a tonne of stuff to post home.

The post office was absolutely rammed, so I took my time packing my bits and pieces in a jiffy bag so large that I could probably have posted myself home in it, I had a couple of other parcels to post, so I sorted them out and then joined the world’s longest post office queue. I think I was queuing for over 45 minutes, it felt like even longer than that, but eventually I was served and managed to escape the sauna-like shop.

I then went for a wander around the Myer centre and bought a little present for each of the girls and Tom, as a thank you. Having constantly talked over the last few weeks about what we’d do if we won the lotto, I bought them a lotto ticket for Saturday’s draw – hopefully they’ll win something! I then weaved my way around the little lanes and found the Little Cupcakes shop that I went to with Bobbie and Nic, to buy a box of mini cupcakes to have with a cuppa later this evening – Becs and Sarah love them!

On my way back to the station, to take the train home, I decided to go and sit in Fed Square for a little while, just because it would be the last time I would see it and it is very pretty there at night. At the moment they are doing a special thing in the evening – The Light In Winter, where as well as a large. lit up inflated sphere, they illuminate the square in different ways and have art installations involving light. It was really beautiful. Tonight’s installation was very unusual – a couple of artists had brought hundreds of large, square torches which they had laid out all over the square, with the light switched on, thus creating beams of light along the ground. They created patterns which looked really beautiful, but the artists encouraged the public to pick up the torches and move them to make a different pattern. I sat and watched them for ages, as it was fascinating.

Although deep down I really didn't want to leave, I eventually decided it was time to make a move, so I went back to the station, buying a bunch of flowers along the way. I had to wait ages for a train; it was 40 minutes late, which was quite frustrating, but at least I got home in the end!

When I got home, the girls were watching tv; they loved the flowers and were even more excited when I produced the box of cupcakes! We had dinner which Sarah had made – tacos, then settled down with a cup of tea and a cupcake! Tom arrived home from work, nuked his dinner and joined us watching tv – Masterchef, obviously! By this time we were onto the beers so we had a good shout at the tv – our least favourite contestant was up for eviction and she somehow managed to blag staying! Grrrr!

I went back to packing and finalised the last few things. Tom and I then sat down with his computer to look at his extensive collection of tv shows and films, so that I could choose which ones I would be stealing, to take on the rest of my travels! We copied a lot of stuff across so I should be nicely set up now! That done, we went back to the tv with a few more beers and watched QI, then copious amounts of the IT Crowd, American Dad and South Park. Although I was really sad on the inside, it was a lovely way to spend my last evening in Melbourne – chilling with my friends, some beers and my favourite tv shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment