Friday 25 June 2010

Bizarre Berry & Blowholes








This morning I got up, dressed and ready, then had a cup of tea with Robyn, watching some tv with her in the kitchen. The news was still dominated by the new PM and all the speculation surrounding her policies and what she might or might not do. We had a spot of brekkie in the form of toast. Hez had been called up by the school to go and do some supply teaching so was out for the day.

Robyn had an appointment in town at the hairdresser, so I decided to go with her and have a mooch about the town whilst she was having her hair done. We hopped in the car and made our way to the shops. Robyn headed to the hairdresser, whilst I mooched around some lovely little boutique places – Berry is full of them, when I say full, I mean that all the shops are boutiques, it’s not that there are lots of shops, in fact it is quite tiny. Obviously I took a look in my favourite random shop – the cuckoo clock shop, then found a lovely coffee shop called Hedgehogs where I sat outside in the sun, with a tasty latte and some raisin toast. I stayed there until it was time to go back to the hairdresser to meet Robyn, finding her waiting just outside.

We got home, made some lunch and discussed where to go this arvo. After looking at some leaflets and thinking about places I had already been to, we decided to go to Kiama – somewhere I have been before, but only briefly.

Robyn and I drove out to Kiama, along the beautiful scenic route, with the sun shining. We first went to the ‘Little Blowhole’; a pretty cliff-side spot where the waves crash against the rock and every so often, when there is a big wave, a massive spout of water and spray shoots up in the air from a hole in one of the rocks. We enjoyed the view across the sea and Kiama, watching the waves until eventually we saw the spout of water; it was quite cool and thankfully we were just far enough away that we weren’t soaked through, unlike a couple of other bystanders!

From there we went around to the other side of the town, to the main blowhole, on the cliffs by the lighthouse. It reminded me of Lands End; with big dark rocks looking out to sea, waves crashing against them. The blowhole here is more dramatic than the other, resulting in a far bigger spout when the waves build up and shoot up through the hole in the rock, set against the backdrop of the lighthouse. On such a sunny afternoon, it was really pretty and we sat on a bench, admiring the view.

We then went into Kiama itself and had a wander around; Robyn showed me some of the oldest buildings in the town, they were so quaint! They had been turned into little shops, so we had a look in them, before hopping back in the car and going for another drive around the town, along the sea front. I recognised a couple of places that I’d come to in 2005 with the Rotarians; it brought back lots of fun memories.

When we got home, Robyn showed me the ancestry website she uses; she’s been looking into her family tree. She looked up my family and very quickly found some information about my grandfather. It was amazing! I spent the rest of the afternoon clicking about online and chilling out with the tv. When Heather came home, we sat and chatted, played Scrabble online. We had dinner – a kind of shepherd’s pie and then watched Masterchef and a variety of other tv shows with a few beers before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment