Friday 4 June 2010

Beer & Bubbles




My optimism of feeling better from my cold yesterday was ungrounded, when I woke up feeling rough again this morning. I promptly took some cold medicine, wrapped up in as many layers as I could fit into and took up my position on the sofa again, with my computer, the tv and lots of cups of tea for company. Sarah and Tom joined me for tv watching and general chatting, but I remained in that position for the of the day!

I think I watched so much tv that I was in danger of turning into one of the characters from the shows I was viewing, including South Park, Family Guy, Flight of the Conchords, How I Met Your Mother and Futurama, so eventually decided I should do something constructive and went for a walk down to Maccas for a surf. The day of doing nothing and actually taking medicine seemed to have worked and by late afternoon I actually felt lots better.

When I got back to the house, after I had popped into the mini supermarket to grab Cheezels and Coke, Becs had left to go to see her parents for the weekend and Tom’s friend Ewan had come over, for our night of sitting in, chilling – just what the doctor ordered!

We sat and chatted for a bit over a few beers, then ordered pizza and watched Masterchef whilst we waited for it to arrive (Ewan is also a fan of Masterchef and agrees with us on who we want out and who we like!). Next up, we watched some AFL (Aussie Rules Football) and Tom told Ewan that I would be going to see a game tomorrow (Nic’s hostel is organising a trip, so I will be going with her on that!). Ewan is a big fan of AFL (he supports Melbourne who are playing tomorrow) so he gave me the full low down on how the game is played, what the rules are and everything else he could possibly think of that I should know about it! It was very insightful and made me feel quite prepared for the game tomorrow. There was a knock on the door and we were pleased to see see our pizzas! One was called ‘The Lot’ and the other was Lamb Souvlaki, both did exactly what they said on the tin and were fantastic!

After we’d eaten, I got out something I had bought in the shops earlier – bubbles (Ben 10 ones, no less!). Now this might seem slightly strange, but there was a reason. The other day when I went to the WAS, we had used bubbles at one point when we needed the children to sit and not move for five minutes, as Gabi blew the bubbles, the kids sat watching them intensely, smiling and popping them. When I’d gotten home and told everyone about it, we’d had a discussion about how bubbles are so cool and how you just can’t help but smile if you see lots of bubbles; Tom was a particular advocate of bubbles, but we all agreed that when you’re an adult there is no call to use bubbles, so none of us had played with them for ages. Anyway, when I was buying the Cheezels, I had seen bubbles for sale on the counter, so had bought them as a childish treat! This meant that one of the key features of the rest of the evening was the blowing of bubbles; including competitions of who could blow the biggest/smallest/most/fastest bubbles, bubble tennis and a variety of other bubble related games that we invented! Understandably, this caused much amusement to us all and was helped further by the beers we were drinking! Tom and Ewan decided to see what would happen if you put a bubble on your eyeball, despite my best attempts to tell them that the result would be pain, they tried it anyway and I was proved correct!

When the bubbles had run out, we turned back to the tv and watched some programmes I had not seen before; Celebrity Jeopardy and Robot Chicken. These were incredibly funny stop-motion animations and had us all in stitches. We munched on the Cheezels and spent the rest of the evening watching these shows, plus some more episodes of South Park, whilst Tom copied some more tv/films from Ewan’s hard drive, which should give us some more things to watch over the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment