Wednesday 10 March 2010

Woeful Wednesday


Again, another night with very little sleep and got up incredibly early, feeling rather flat. I think it was all a bit of an anticlimax – after such a wonderful few days, everything felt rather dull! It felt like nothing could ever get any better than what I had just experienced so there was no point in continuing and I might as well just go home to the UK! Irrational, I know, but it was an overwhelming feeling. To combat this I took myself off to Maccas for an iced coffee and an early morning wifi scamming session, which ended up lasting several hours! Having been lucky and been online at the same time as several friends, I was able to have a bit of a Skype with them and this cheered me up a bit and brought me slightly closer to reality. I began to think that it might just be possible that there could be life after the Whitsundays!

I headed back to the YHA and found the others awake, so chatted to them for a bit. Jana convinced me to have a nana-nap and although I didn’t feel like I would be able to, I managed to drift off then was out cold for several hours! By the time I awoke, Jana and Nikki were in town and had been doing various things including finding out about potential trips to do after Airlie. I trotted out and met them, before deciding to do something constructive myself and so went back to Maccas and booked my Melbourne Grand Prix ticket. The girls came and met me in there and we decided that we would go and make some bookings.

The poor man in the agency was very patient with us - 3 very indecisive customers! In the end we each made our own minds up and Nikki felt that she wanted to move on tomorrow, whilst Jana and I wanted one more night in Airlie. So after a lot of faffing, Jana and I have now booked to go to Magnetic Island on Friday, then on to Cairns for a couple of days, followed by a 3 day liveaboard diving trip. That’s as far as I have got, but it will do for the time being!

Having made some plans, we all perked up a bit, so went back to the YHA, faffed about with our bits and bobs, then went out for some dinner and a drink, although by the time we got out, everything was closed and we decided we couldn’t be bothered to eat, so we just headed to our favourite hangout for an icecream – yes, Maccas! I have practically lived in there today!

On sitting down in my favourite spot, Nikki squealed as she saw a cricket on the wall right next to us, this in turn freaked out the . Having survived the incident with giant spiders the day before, I felt that I was able to take on a harmless cricket, so grabbed some napkins and set about trying to catch it. I took some deep breaths, stood on the bench and reached up to grab it. Whilst trying to gather up the napkin around it without causing it injury or death, it somehow leapt out, making me squeak and everyone else jump. I followed it to the floor where it was now standing, it jumped again, back onto the bench, then on to the wall. Eventually I caught it and when I turned around, I realised that the shop was now pretty full and so I had a rather large audience! I took it outside and came back in, feeling triumphant! The lady at the counter told us that if you save a cricket’s life (rather than squash it), you get good luck! That is just what I need, so I was very chuffed indeed at my efforts, if a bit embarrassed! We ate our icecreams and then headed back to the YHA and to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment