Monday 1 March 2010

Rock on Rocky!


Had a well deserved sleep, having had a nice evening with JJ and Nikki when they returned from Fraser – we went into town and found a nice Mexican restaurant called ‘Gringos’ where we indulged in some tasty food and filling each other in on what we’d been up to whilst apart!

Again, the YHA booking system continued to surprise us – we’d been told they couldn’t move into my room as it was fully booked, but when I woke up this morning, sure enough there were still 3 un-slept-in beds there! I went into the main area and had a cup of tea and some OJ, then went back and packed – thankfully my makeshift laundry had worked and everything was dry!

Once we had checked out, we took a walk to Woolies and to the pharmacy, where nurse Jana prescribed me antihistamines to try and aid the ridiculous number of bites I had suddenly acquired overnight - the most impressive being one on my knee which is so large it has effectively given me a ‘third kneecap’! It bloody hurts though!

The YHA bus then dropped us at the coach station where we got our Greyhound to Rockhampton – the journey took about 6 hours and was relatively uneventful. We passed through Bundeberg but we didn’t go close to the big bottle of Bundy. The guy showed a couple of DVDs which were pretty poor, so I just remained plugged into my ipod and looking out of the window. This, it turned out, was indeed more fruitful than watching a DVD because I actually saw a real kangaroo! I know I saw living, breathing kangaroos at the zoo, but they aren’t real, this was a REAL kangaroo, hopping about on its daily kangaroo business, hence a real kangaroo! So that was nice.

The Rocky YHA seems ok, it’s cheap and shock horror, they have put us in the same room! We can’t believe it! There are loads more nasty insect things here and we have already been bitten by several of them, despite having doused ourselves in insect repellent! We’re only here one night though and we have another stupidly early morning ahead of us – we’re being picked up at 6.30am to be taken to Myella – a farm we will be staying at for 3 days. We’re not 100% sure what to expect, but I am certain it will be good fun!

1 comment:

  1. No way!!!! I stayed at Myella for 3 days. I had to ride a lazy ex race horse there who refused to move faster than a slow walk. It was agony trying to get him moving and I was walking like John Wayne for days after :) xx

    ReplyDelete