Tuesday 23 February 2010

Day at the Beach


Got up early this morning ready for a bit of a Skype down at Maccas and bumped into Jana in the corridor who was also thinking about going online, so I showed her the way to the golden arches! We made the most of the free wifi before heading back to get ready for our trip to Streets Beach.

Being girls, we took an age to get sorted, but soon enough Jana, Nicky and I were heading down to the Southbank. As we started walking we soon realised it was even hotter than yesterday, so the walk seemed much further and the floor felt like the pavement was melting!

Once at the ‘beach’ we found Charlotte and selected a spot to base ourselves from, on the sand under some palm trees, right by the water. It was bliss. The water looked very inviting indeed, so we cooled off for a bit in there and enjoyed the beauty of the place, marvelling at its existence and feeling sorry for the poor office workers in the high rise buildings opposite, who must gaze longingly at it from their desks! We were joined by Kerry and Charlotte’s friend Natalie, who joined in the fun.

I spent the afternoon flitting between sitting in the shallower water cooling off and basking in the sun on the beach reading my book, a great combination. Due to my previously having burnt my back (and feet!) the other day and it still being rather ferociously red, I was advised by my personal doctor (Jana has more tablets and potions than Boots!) that I should wear a tshirt all day, which was a very very good call, as it made me feel super cool all day, whereas everyone else was baking. So I guess that is the best way to beat the heat – get dressed before having a s shower and then walk around all day with wet clothes! May be frowned upon though! Lol!

Anyway, at around 6pm we started heading back to the hostel, but first Nicky and I decided to hit one of Brisbane’s top tourist attractions – the Brisbane Wheel! The air conditioned capsule was freezing, especially for me in my wet clothes, but the views were good. We listened to the commentary and enjoyed looking at the city from up high, although in one direction all that was visible was building works and cranes for as far as the eye could see. It is probably fair to say that Brisbane doesn’t have that many points of interest to note, so they padded it out a bit with some banter and music, but all in all, worth a look.

When I arrived back in my dorm, there was a new girl (German I think) who is stopping just for tonight, she gave me a box of Laughing Cow cheese! This evening, after taking a shower and de-sanding myself, I have been in the tv room for YHA’s ‘Tuesday Film Night’ and watched Slumdog Millionaire – haven’t seen it before and was quite impressed. Have just come back to the dorm to write my blog and it looks like 2 new girls have moved in. So far in the room we have one each of; French, Swedish, German and English – wonder what nationality the new two are... I guess I will find out who they are at some point!

They reckon it’s going to be raining tomorrow, so my mission to try and catch up with the others’ tans might have to be put on hold for a while. Maybe it will give the red bits a chance to calm down!

No comments:

Post a Comment