Sunday 4 July 2010

Muesli Mahem & Movies in Melbourne

My early night turned out to have been a good idea, as was getting all my stuff together and piled neatly by the door, so I could just get up at 3.30am and rock on out without causing too much fuss or disturbance. Before I knew it, it was 4.15am and I was at the train station, waiting, bleary-eyed, for my train to the airport.

Having been a bit homesick for Melbourne during my time in NSW, I had taken the advice of my friend Hez and been spontaneous; booking a flight back to go back there for a week, rather than sticking about in Berry doing relatively little, whilst waiting to go to Bodalla with Larissa for my friend Kim’s birthday.

Anyway, so soon enough I was checked in and on my way back to Melbourne! This time, rather than staying with Becs, Sarah and Tom, for a bit of a change I was going to stay with my other new friends; Matt, Niamph and Christie.

Once again, I was first on the plane (hurrah!) and the flight was easy enough, nothing particularly eventful other than a strange man next to me who had clearly never seen muesli before. I was astonished as he looked at the packet suspiciously, shook it, peeled back the lid, looked at the contents suspiciously and then proceeded to start eating it raw/dry with his spoon (yuuuuck!), then looked at me, eating mine with milk (provided in a little mini bottle with the muesli!), and followed suit. Weird.

After I had landed and collected all my stuff, Matt came and picked me up from the airport and we went back to the house in Thornbury, where I found Niamph on the sofa, suffering with a monster hangover! We chatted for a bit and had a cup of tea and some toast, then Matt went off to work. Shortly afterwards, Christie arrived home and the three of us chatted over another couple of cups of tea, although Niamph still looked pretty green!

I hopped on the train to the city, had a meander around the shops, then hopped on another tram to Ascot Vale, where I paid Sarah, Becs and Tom a surprise visit! They couldn’t believe it! The girls had just gotten back from a couple of days in Ballarat at Becs’ parents’ house. We spent the arvo chatting, catching up on news, talking about Masterchef (of course!) and watching various tv shows. We also watched the new version of Alice in Wonderland. It was really good to see them again and I said I’d be around and about for a few days, so we made arrangements for meeting up again.

I headed back to Thornbury, via the city and my favourite shop; Little Cupcakes, where I picked up some sweet treats for the gang which went down incredibly well when I presented them back at the house. Niamph was still looking green on the sofa, but she didn’t let that stop her from having a cup of tea and a cupcake (I’m sure they’re medicinal?!). Matt and Christie arrived home from work shortly after one another, so we all settled down with tea and cupcakes, watching tv and discussing the wonders of cupcakes. We also discussed iconic Aussie people, films, places, animals, phrases and general things. I told them about my trip to the snow and Niamph was particularly jealous as she loves the snow. I also explained about my theory on animals – that I don’t count having seen one until I have seen it in the wild (with the wombat as my most recent example of my first sighting of a ‘real’ one!).

For dinner we knocked up a noodle concoction which was delicious and spent the evening chatting, flicking about the tv channels and eventually deciding to watch Wolf Creek; the infamous backpacker-frightening movie. I found it sort of scary, but not as bad as everyone made out and I didn’t really see what all the fuss was about – it was a classic case of ‘he’s-obviously-a-serial-killer-so-don’t-trust-him’ and ‘turn-the-bloody-light-on-you-idiot’. I did like the film and was more creeped-out by the little bit of text at the end that said that the story was based on true events, but that the police had not gotten enough evidence to convict the scary guy, so he was still out there. Something to remember, methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment