Friday 9 July 2010

Girlie Goodbye & Gig

This morning I pottered about the house, finishing off my laundry and chatting to Christie and Niamph until they headed off to work. I then went on the tram to the city to meet Nic, as it was her last day in Melbourne, before she would be heading off to Sydney (and then home to Scotland).

We spent the rest of the morning and arvo being part of the ‘latte set’ and generally wandering around the city. It might sound like we do this a lot, but it’s just because the both of us love the city so much, we could walk around for hours and hours at a time without getting bored! Obviously part of our wanderings involved a visit to Little Cupcakes (they know us in there now!) and a wander around the Myer centre. We also had lunch at another icon of Melbourne – Lord of the Fries (everyone has been telling me about it but I had never had it), it was ok but I don’t really know what all the fuss was about!

In the late arvo, I said a sad farewell to Nic so she could go and catch her flight – we don’t think we’ll manage to catch up with one another again before she goes home. However, it has been great getting to see her and spend time together again.

Once I got back to Thornbury, the gang were home from work and we sat chatting and chilling with a cuppa. I then went and packed my case once again, then we all got ready to go out. We headed off to Brunswick Street, to a bar where Matt was doing the lights for a gig. The bar itself seemed really nice and we’d gotten there early so that Matt could help with the set up. We met Stu, one of Matt’s friends who was the sound techie guy for the night, along with some of Matt’s other muso friends. Christie, Niamph and I watched with a couple of beers whilst he did his techie stuff and organised all the lights, then watched each band do their sound check. There were four bands and three of them seemed ok, from what we could tell, whilst the other one was slightly dubious!

As soon as the doors opened to Joe Public, the pub filled up quickly and soon the music began. We enjoyed the first two bands (kind of rock music mixed with metal, I guess – I’m not so great at music genre identification) and I was pretty impressed by Matt’s skills at lighting. The sound and lighting desk was so enticing with all its little buttons, dials and flashing lights; it made me have a major urge to press something, but I managed to hold myself back!

When the third band began, someone else took over the lights and so the four of us went out to grab a quick bite to eat for dinner. We found a decent looking pizza place only a few doors down, so went in there. It turned out to be a really good choice as the pizza tasted amazing and had such a thin, crispy base (almost like a cream cracker!). It was good too because it was a stone baked pizza, so was really quick – Matt needed to get back in time for the last band. Once we were done, Niamph and I decided to go back home, rather than stay out any later as I had to be up early and she was tired, so we hopped on the tram whilst Matt and Christie went back to the pub. Back at the house, I finalised all my packing, took a shower and turned in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment