Wednesday 26 May 2010

Waxing Wednesday


I got up this morning and went for a run, it was tougher today than the other day, I don’t know why, but I was not in the zone at all. When I came back, Sarah had just come downstairs, we had a quick chat, then I went and got myself washed and dressed before coming back to the kitchen and having a cup of tea with her. Tom and Becs had both gone to work before I had gone out and Sarah was going to do some uni work, so I got set to go out into the city again.

I walked down to the tram stop and hopped on the first tram that arrived, which took me back to Elizabeth Street. On the way, I got chatting to an Italian girl who has been in Melbourne for three months, she was on her way to get her hair done and this sparked a conversation about the Academy. I told her about it and she was really interested, so I gave her the card that they’d given me with the phone number and address! I really am turning into an advocate for the salon, which is where I was heading back to, but this time to investigate their beauty section!

Once at the Academy, I was taken upstairs to the beauty school, where I had booked in for a leg wax. I was a little surprised at the look and feel of the salon as it was equally as grey as the hair salon downstairs – in my opinion, not the best colour for a beauty therapy environment as it felt rather dark and dingy. Two girls came to do my leg wax – they simultaneously waxed one leg each, which I also thought was a little strange. On the positive side, it meant I had two people to interrogate about what and how they learn at this Academy. They were very compliant and answered all my many questions; it turns out that they have to do a lot of study but only learn what I would say were the very basics (manicure, pedicure, facials and waxing) and also they do not really learn much theory (such as anatomy and physiology), which means there are no theory based assessments, only practicals. Either way, the service was good and they did my legs very quickly; well there were two of them doing it, so I guess it would be quicker than usual!

Waxing over, I headed further into the city and spent the remainder of the day window shopping and having a general mooch around the shops. Whilst I was shopping, I had a call from a lady at the Autism Teaching Institute, which was incredibly exciting and we arranged a visit for tomorrow to their school. It was particularly funny because at one point in the conversation she asked me how I would be getting there so she could give me directions, I told her that I could see the front door of the ATI from the front door of where I was staying and she couldn’t believe it!

Having sorted that out, I had a bit of a spring in my step, so I walked down to Flinders Street to hop on the tram. I was surprised to see a giant, inflatable, white elephant sat outside the station, it was advertising something but the advert was lost on me as the elephantyness of it stuck out far more than the message written on the side! The tram took me to the shopping centre along the docklands – I had been passed it on my previous trips on this tram and so decided to finally check it out. The shopping centre itself was described as an ‘outlet’ centre, which was a little misleading – most of the shops were just random places selling a load of old rubbish and only a few were vaguely interesting. I did however manage to pick up, at an outlet price, some PJs I had seen in NZ so that was good!

Feeling a bit weary of shopping, I got the tram back to the city centre and then took the tram back to Ascotvale, where I popped into Coles for some supplies of Cheezels and Oreos, before walking back to the house. Becs and Sarah were home, so we had a good chat about the beauty salon, my leg wax and my shopping exploits. I told them about my visit tomorrow to the ATI and they were pleased for me. I then decided to have another shower, as I had that horrible sensation of sticky legs from where there were erroneous little bits of wax left on my legs, sticking to my jeans!

When I came down, I sat with the girls watching Neighbours and the news, then Tom arrived home from work. Becs cooked us all a tasty dinner of pad thai, which was delicious and we decided to crack open the rum once more, whist we whiled away the evening drinking that and again hurling abuse at the chefs on Masterchef! I went to bed once I realised that I had better stop drinking for fear of turning up at the ATI with a hangover in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment