Thursday 13 May 2010

Middle of Nowhere, oops, Marahau




Having not slept much due to the sound of the howling wind and driving rain, plus the general feeling of not being able to sleep, I got up and was surprised to see it was sunny outside with blue skies. It seemed the weather report got the right weather but wrong day – the stormy weather came last night instead. The activities would still not be going ahead though, so it didn’t matter, it meant I had a day of chilling. I decided a run was in order, so got ready and headed off. I hadn’t banked on most of the bus all being in the kitchen and so they all got to see me go off looking peculiar!

I ran along the road we’d come down last night. In the daylight I got a better appreciation of just how deserted this place was. I was passing very little other than green. I followed the road along and soon came to the shore line – it looked really beautiful in the sun, the water was so blue. In fact, it was so sunny that it made it quite uncomfortably hot for running. When I had reached an appropriate point, I turned around and ran back to the hostel.

By the time I arrived there, most people were just on their way out. Even though the activities like sailing and kayaking had been cancelled, there was still the opportunity to go for a walk and go to the beach. I got myself sorted and decided that I just fancied a bit of a chill – having been for a run already I didn’t feel like expending much energy. Plus, there were pretty views of Abel Tasman National Park from the hostel grounds. I got out my computer and ipod and enjoyed sitting in the sun. Daisy had a go at fixing my ipod but he couldn’t do it either (stupid Apple technology!).

We decided that it would be a good idea to have a fire tonight so we took out a load of wood from the wood pile and laid it out on the deck to try and dry it off, as it was soaked through from last night’s rain. James came back from his walk and showed us his arm which was covered in a really dodgy rash, it looked like something evil had bitten him and we discussed whether he should get it looked at. He went off to the doctors just in case. Nic and I put some washing on and I even hung it up on the line to dry!

In the early afternoon we went for a walk to the one and only place in Marahau that sold anything, the ‘Fat Tui’, but thankfully for me they sold coffee, so that was good! Then we walked back along the seafront and through a ‘wetland trail’, which involved a boardwalk with tall grass either side of it – in fact we’d come to the end of it before we really realised we’d actually started it. Then we came to the information centre bit which was just a shed with some posters on the walls about Abel Tasman, it was slightly dull.

Back at the hostel I spent the remainder of the afternoon just chilling out and enjoying the sun, until iit went down, so it started getting a bit chilly and I forged on in my tshirt, determined to get through to the evening without layering up. James came back from the doctor and reported that his strange arm rash was not a bite, but a virus, so panic over. I decided to take my washing off the line as there was no more sun on it.

The evening was relatively quiet, I made wraps with Daisy and everyone sat about talking and coming up with ideas for our fancy dress theme but settling on nothing. Every now and again it started to rain (thank goodness I had remembered to take my washing in!) but would then clear; leaving the stars glittering above us. We lit the fire and sat around that, looking at the stars and chatting.

No comments:

Post a Comment