Friday 21 May 2010

Nearly No More NZ!


Had a lie in this morning and spent the morning mooching about the flat. It was pouring with rain and so we didn’t feel particularly enthused about going out. Jet had a look at my ipod and tried to fix it; I am not sure what he did to it but it now contains music that wasn’t on there previously although my original music is still on my itunes so I guess I should be able to work it out at some point!

We went for a wander around Christchurch and it was super cold; much colder than it had been previously and I did my best to grin and bear it. Jet took me to the Botanical Gardens where we found the Rose Gardens which were actually quite pretty, although most of the roses had finished blooming. We also went into a big conservatory place (I think it might have a different name, but I can’t think what it is) which was full of tropical plants. After a bit more of a walk about, we went back to the city and went to a cafe for lunch.

It started raining again, which meant it was not so good for walking around the city, plus it made it feel even colder, so we went back to Jet’s. I took the opportunity that the poor weather had proffered to sort out my bag, so as to lighten the load and lessen the chances of having to pay a hefty excess baggage charge. We then sat and watched another film on Jet’s laptop, this time ‘Help!’, with a few cups of tea, listening to the rain beating down outside.

By the time the film had finished, the rain had subsided and so I went back into town to do some chores and go to some shops. Having experienced this cold weather, I decided that I may need some slightly warmer clothes seeing as it was almost officially winter, so bought three new tops with sleeves. Having achieved that, I wandered around a few more shops and treated myself to a Starbucks. I made my way to the library and briefly got online (I’d forgotten how great free internet was!) to check and finalise my flight booking and online check-in, then Jet came and met me and we walked to a really good pizza place and got our dinner.

Back at Jet’s we enjoyed our pizzas and the delicious side order of kumera (sweet potato) chips, whilst watching a documentary about Blur on his laptop. Jet got a call from Andy Williams (the other friend from home who emigrated here) and he came over – he hadn’t seen Jet’s new place as he has only recently moved into it. We sat and chatted for a while, then went into town for a couple of quiet drinks in an Irish pub called Baileys.

Andy couldn’t stay out too long and I was very aware that I should try and get a bit of sleep seeing as I was going to have to get at an ungodly hour, so we headed back to Jet’s. Along the way I decided that I needed one last iconic NZ fix, so we went via Maccas and I had a lime milkshake (I know; lime milkshake – crazy!). I still couldn’t decide if I liked them or not. Once we had reached Jet’s, I finished off the last of my packing, sat down with a cup of tea and watched a bit more of the Blur documentary before curling up and trying to get some shut-eye; my last night’s sleep in NZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment