Sunday 18 April 2010

Nikky's Last Day

It turns out Nikky was awake until 4.30am booking her accommodation – bless! I know how indecisive I am about these things, so can see why she found it so hard. Needless to say she needed a lie in, so when I woke up, I just chilled with my book until she stirred.

We put the tv on and had a lay in, chatting, then got up, showered and even did some washing! Once the washing was in the dryer and we were ready to head off, we meandered to the bus stop and took the bus downtown. We mooched about the shops for a bit, but I must say, having been to this street and these shops a number of times now, it really is very dull. I am sure shopping in Uxbridge with the same shops everyday isn’t that dull... Hmmmmm. After a couple hours of wandering in and out of the lacklustre retailers, despite our best efforts, we didn’t actually find anything that excited us. The grey skies and general gloom didn’t help matters.

It was getting close to 4pm, so we jumped back on the bus and went back to the K Road, as Nikky was going to have her nails done. I popped into the Starbucks and grabbed a coffee, then headed back to the hostel, where I sorted out the washing and then sat wifi-ing and watching tv, whilst I waited for Nikky.

Happy with her new nails, Nikky returned and set about packing her bags again – last night had been a ‘practice run’! I sat and watched her whilst clicking about on the internet and was amazed at how well she did – I really couldn’t see how all that stuff was going to squeeze into all those bags! She managed it though! It’s a shame she is going, I could do with her packing expertise myself! I don’t have as much stuff but I think my poor packing technique does not make optimal use of space!

Once she was done, we decided to head out for dinner. We didn’t really want to go too far from the hostel, so ended up at the pub we’d seen last night. I am sure it had been quite busy then. When we went in, there were only about five other people in there; we had a moment of uncertainty, but figured the only alternative was going to be kebab or going further into town, so plumped for staying put. We ordered out drinks and dinner, then found a spot out of the draught of both sets of doors that were open (really, do they need both sets of doors open – surely it just advertises the fact that it is dead in there?!). We toasted our time and travels together, then Nikky peered into her glass – in the slightly dingy light, it looked like her wine was corked. She dipped her finger in and plucked out what was floating on the surface, but then the piece of cork started walking across her hand! She thought she was going mad, we both looked into the glass and suddenly realised that there were several little flies all doing breast stroke (or it could have been front crawl, it was quite dark and the flies were swimming in red wine which made it difficult to identify the specific stroke they were using!). Yikes! She took it back to the bar and they were most apologetic, she pointed out that it didn’t bode well for the food but they ensured her that the food was fine.

To be fair, the food wasn’t bad; not the best, but not the worst and the good thing was that there was not a fly to be found in it! As we ate our meal, we reminisced about all the fun times we had and Nikky told me about all the silly things I have done that make her laugh – apparently I am a bit of a bumbling Basil Fawlty style idiot at times, so we had a good giggle at that and made our sides hurt! We then realised that the pub was completely deserted, bar us! This made us laugh even more and we enjoyed the rest of our night fly-free, before making our way back to the hostel.

Back at the hostel, Nikky finalised her bags and we had a chat on Skype with JJ, before carrying on chatting, internetting and watching tv for a while, then we said our goodbyes (Nikky is leaving in the early hours of the morning) and went to bed, having had a lovely evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment